Sunday, September 16, 2007

Choosing a System

After you've tracked your spending for a month, (or maybe while you're still doing that initial tracking) you'll want to investigate your options for a budgeting system.

One of your first choices is whether to go with a paper-based or computer-based system. If you are just beginning the budget journey, the best way might be to go with the traditional envelope system. I personally don't do it because it is cash-only and most of our bills are set up for automatic payments, we both have direct deposit, etc, while it would be possible to go cash-only it would involve re-arranging things we already have in place. Envelope-based systems have been around for a long time, and they've been around so long because they work.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either method. Computer-based budget tools (like the You Need A Budget www.youneedabudget.com that Cheryl uses, Microsoft Money, Quicken, or mVelopes www.mvelopes.com ) are cool because after they're set up, they do alot of the "work" for you. They will automatically add and subtract. Some will import your bank information. You can make charts and graphs. The disadvantages are that you have to be at a computer to do them, and some of the programs have more stuff than you really need.

Paper-based budgeting programs include anything from you setting up your own little chart, to BudgetMap www.budgetmap.com which is what I use. The biggest advantage is that paper-based systems are more portable. The disadvantage? You'll have to do your own math, and if you want a pie chart of your spending, you'd better go find some crayons!

Taking some time to look over various systems is a good idea, or ask for suggestions. When I first started using BudgetMap, I couldn't *bring myself* to fork over the money for the real ones they sell, because they are kind of expensive (IMHO). Instead, I snooped around the website until I figured out how it was set up, then made my own in Word. I used those first, for a little while, until I knew the system worked for me, then I ordered the real ones. Your computer might have come with Money or Quicken, at least an intro version, check it out. mVelopes has a free trial period.

BudgetMap categorizes your spending and puts category into it's own column. When you make a debit, you decide which category it comes from, and deduct the amount. You always have a running total of how much money is left in each category. Deposits are written in and distributed in whatever way you've figured out. The website takes you step-by-step thru setting it up, plus when you order it they send a small booklet of the same information. The BudgetMap itself is the size of a checkbook register, which means you have it with you all the time and can see before you make a purchase if there is money left in the category.

You Need A Budget (YNAB) uses a very interesting idea, one that does make me want to investigate it further. Their premise is that you get the budget set up so that you are spending last month's income. You adjust your categories to reflect that income, assign every dollar to a category, and you've got a month's padding in there. I'm sure your first thought is "how am I supposed to budget last month's income when I already spent it?", but they explain how to slowly build up your reserves. You are no longer living paycheck to paycheck.

And of course, that's just the beginning. There are so many systems out there. Take some time to look around and find one you think will fit!

Don't get too bogged down in the decision-making, though. Some people have everything set up in a spiral notebook, the important thing is to get the ball rolling.

4 comments:

Ragazzo said...

I have used several personal finance products and none have compared to Mvelopes (www.mvelopes.com).

Others applications claim to automate some of your transactions; however, with Quicken, Money and others you still have to manually enter them. Mvelopes aggregates my bank daily and does this for me in case I forget all of my spends. Furthermore, you can access your Mvelopes data from any PC, Mac or even your mobile phone. This way you're not tied down to the one PC or Mac you downloaded the software to.

Trial their service (before purchasing a subscription) just like you described in your blog. You won't be disappointed!

BeckyScott said...

I liked mvelopes myself, but our bank operates somewhere in the last decade... so I couldn't download information. That takes away alot of the perk, I still had to manually enter all the transactions.

I think most people are naturally paper-based or electronic-based. I don't have a PDA either, don't particularly want one. Some people couldn't live without it. I guess I'm just a "paper person"... LOL

MommyLydia said...

You need a budget actually has a set of forums for asking questions/discussing financial stuff as well. (and you can join the forums even if you have not bought the product yet)

MommyLydia said...

ragazzo: Quicken and Money also have the ability to download transactions from your bank (Even to do it automatically at the time you open the program, if you set it up) And without the monthly fee (I have used the same Money software, which cost me less than $40 originally, for over 2 years now and I can continue to use it for as long as I want without giving anyone else any more money)

I believe they will only download for 2 years then you have to upgrade to get the ability again. (But I'm not sure since I didn't like this when I had it on) In MY Money I have deliberately turned off this ability because I find it obnoxious. I am not comfortable with my computer automatically logging on to anything financial based. And I am even more uncomfortable with giving my financial passwords to another Internet-based system (So it isn't just on MY computer, but is on some computer out there and I have to trust someone else to keep it secure.)